Thursday, March 13, 2008

Being Japanese PAYS (ha!)

In an earlier post, I discussed my lack of understanding on the topic of theatre people who hate Tech Week. If people shared my love of Tech Week, there wouldn't be t-shirts to buy on the subject.


Oh, and we've completely sold out for both Friday & Saturday evening performances for our closing weekend of Zombie Prom(!!!) so you need to get your tickets for the Saturday matinee (2pm) ASAP. You don't want to miss this opportunity to come support me. (Ha). No, but seriously- it's a great show. This is only a mere smidgen of a foretaste.

Today, I got fitted for my bridesmaid dress. Since I am not well-endowed in the breast-ular area, I have to pay $30 per side for it to be taken in. In addition, I am on the short side (go figure me being half-Japanese and all) so the calve-length dress I ordered comes down to my ankles and will not match the other bridesmaid's dress lengths. So- another $60 for the hem. Apparently my LACK of height and LACK of - well, you know - requires me to pay MORE money. Does this sound wrong to you? My total comes out to about $350 for the dress + gas money to and from Brea for all these fitting sessions.

Now, I told all of this to Jason on the phone as he was driving to the tux rental store to get his groomsman attire and we groaned and laughed about my situation. He felt sorry for me. When he finished his fitting, he felt sorry for both of us. Turns out he's spending over $100 for a tux rental that isn't even going to be his to keep after the wedding.

Now, this is not a feel-sorry-for-Kimberly-&-Jason complaint session. Really, it's not. I actually find this somewhat humorous. All would be well for me if I were 1) Tall and 2) Well-endowed. It seems I have my Japanese side to thank for both of these "short"comings. And thus, the title of this entry.

6 comments:

Bryan said...

Awww...I love you so much.
Your honesty is always refreshing.
I am glad you have such a good outlook
on the simple things. Love ya...

Kimberly Robin said...

Yeah sucks being short. My wedding dress would have been a perfect fit if it wasn't for me being so short. So I had to pay to get the bottom cut off. But the prices you are quoting don't sound uncommon. They sound quite normal. And so does the price Jason is paying for the tux. Our guys had to pay 100 for their tux rentals. So yeah. Lesson: weddings are really expensive.

seijitsu said...

My two cents: it's not your Japanese-ness that's the problem. The bride-to-be is an inconsiderate person (using a kinder word than the one I'm thinking of) for not thinking about who her bridesmaids are before deeming what dress you have to fork over all that cash for. I'm sure you'd never pick a dress with that issue for your bridesmaids.

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly said...

Stephie- We each picked our own dresses. It's just that all of them are called "calve-length", but I'm too short so ALL the calve-length dresses are too long. I was just finding humor in the situation.

Jason Pestell said...

Je t'aime ma courte Japonaise. J'espère que tu pourras porter ta robe plus qu'une fois, et je sais que tu serais très belle en la portant n'importe quand (ou n'importe où) ... un rendez-vous avec moi, peut-être :)