Monday, February 27, 2012



Trying not to think too much about Scarlet and the decision Val will need to make today, I decided to go exploring during lunch.  I bundled myself up, took a walk in the rain beneath an over-sized white and blue umbrella, took care of some errands, and then stumbled upon a lovely dive called Root Beer Joe's nestled in Burlington Arcade in Pasadena just off of Lake.  I ordered a tuna sandwich, selected a specialty pop from their wide array, and- for once in my life- wasn't too shy to ask if I could take a few pictures to accompany my little blog post.  They were happy to let me putz around their shop, camera in hand.  They chuckled when another customer asked if they were new in town.  Apparently, they have been around for quite a while.

I took my lunch outside thinking I could weather the weather, but before long, the young man from behind the counter came out and asked if I might be more comfortable at a little room they had adjacent to their deli, home to a green set of shelves filled with specialty beers and a small four-seat glass table.  He helped me carry my Bubble Up inside while I grabbed my other belongings.  I spent the next few minutes trying to strategize how to eating such a gigantic sandwich.  An plentiful amount of tuna- prepared quite differently from your average tuna salad (cooked and then cooled, I expect)- onions, pickles, lettuce, and tomatoes on some kind of baguette with garlicky sauce,  kept me feeling as if I were in one of those "if it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face" Carl's Jr. commercials.  It was quite tasty, though I might ask for no onions next time and half the amount of tuna.  My little happa mouth just can't manage sandwiches that thick.

By the time I was finished, the rain had taken a lunch break, too.  So, with the remaining Bubble Up in one hand and the huge umbrella in the other (which is long enough to serve as a walking stick), I made my way back to work.  The walk is several blocks and then a few minutes into campus.  With the chilled wind and both hands occupied, I couldn't feel my hands by the time I reached the elevator, but it felt like a little adventure, which is good.  Especially when it is overcast and gloomy and you may have to say goodbye to the sweetest cat.


canon powershot | © kimberly k taylor, all rights reserved

0 comments: