Tuesday, April 3, 2012

bookbinding








Back in January, my mother heard about a special bookbinding workshop being held at the Huntington Gardens and Library for its members.  Two small classes of eight students each were held and my mother and I were lucky enough to get two spots.

Learning the art of bookbinding has long been a dream of mine.  Someday, when I start my paperworks business, I aim to make my own journals featuring my ink and watercolor designs on the covers.  This delightful class, taught by lovely Asa Yoshie who moved to California from Japan in 2001 and speaks with a familiar, gentle Japanese accent.  She received her BA in Art with an emphasis in Book Art from UC Santa Barbara and her MFA in Book Arts and Printmaking from the University of the Arts in Pennslyvania.  She is an expert in papermaking, letterpress printing, book binding, collage, intricate box folding, poetry, and short story writing.  She is now a Conversvation Technician at the Huntington Library where she works to repair fragile books.


A patient and knowledgable teacher, Asa guided us through making four books in three hours, implementing paper folding and sewing bookbinding techniques.  The first workshop went by all too quickly and my mother and I were anxious to further our learning.

Fortunately for us, Asa had plans to hold an all-day advanced workshop this March, in which she would teach her students to make an accordian-style book complete with a bookcloth casing.  Brittany came along with us and we each left with a beautiful handmade book.
The Huntington Library Book Conversation Lab
And here is Asa and my finished book (with newsprint inserted to aid in drying).

My mother, sister, and I are now interested in increasing our knowledge of bookbinding and introducing ourselves to box folding, papermaking, and letterpress.  We are hoping the Huntington will continue to utelize Asa's wonderful talents in providing wonderful art classes for their members.


canon powershot:  bookbinding class | © kimberly k taylor, all rights reserved

0 comments: