Thursday, March 27, 2008

Late-ly

Today, I awoke with a crick in my neck and the uneasy feeling that I'd been in my cozy blankets far too long. I abruptly sat up in bed, looked at the clock, and realized I had overslept by two hours! Good grief. Thank God my boss in so forgiving. So, I sit here in my office with unwashed hair and a silly smile on my face.

Speaking of my wonderful boss, we just found out yesterday -- Reverend Karen Davis is Glendora's new city Mayor! She is a wonder. She does it all: Wife, Mother, Reverend, Police Chaplain, and now Mayor.

So. Speeding has it's major consequences. For the first time in my life, I got a speeding ticket. This happened back in January when I was driving on the I-5 north to visit Jason. Today, I received my traffic violation information in the mail and the bail is a whopping $272 by May 5th. Don't break the law, people. Not even by accident or when no one is around. Accidents are still illegal and someone is always around.

In all seriousness... I feel the need to say something -- a statement -- that is quite humbling for me. Fear can be an enslaving sin. I cannot be a friend- a child of God when fear takes the place of trust. Every deep relationship begins with trust. I still feel awkward that I have been so blind to so large a thing in my life. I consider myself an introspective person, quite contemplative at that, but somehow I missed this. But it all makes sense and I see what my fear has done and is doing and what it will do if I let it. And then I turn right around and fear that I will not figure this fear thing- this trust thing out. And I can see how habitual and second-nature it can become.


"Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."
-Isaiah 41:10


"But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD,
I say, 'You are my God.'"
-Psalm 31:14


"Behold, I will trust and not be afraid;
For the LORD GOD is my strength and song,
And He has become my salvation."
-Isaiah 12:2


Something lovely by Jen

2 comments:

Jason Pestell said...

Oh dear! That's quite a penalty. I'm sorry that this mistake cost you so much.

I love to read about your day, about what's going on, and about how God uses a friend as a mirror that shows more than even the introspective individual can find. It is great evidence for the wisdom in God's establishment of the Church rather than allowing us to simply live out individual spiritualities without leaning on one another and seeking God together.

Thank you for sharing those powerful verses, Love.

stephen said...

Dude. Cheetos with paper clips for legs. Totally my style.